pause

jersey city, the 'burbs, refugees, reflection, life and such

My Photo
Name:
Location: NJ

Saturday, November 04, 2006

A little irony

Not so long ago, I scoffed at online blogs. Why would anyone want to put their thoughts just out there like that for anyone to read? Who does that?

And now, ironically enough, I now have one.

Perhaps this is an attempt to keep in some kind of contact with many far-flung friends since college graduation. One of the things I enjoyed most about college was the open dialogue that happened all the time, in its many formal and informal settings. Now, living at home and doing the commuter 9-5 lifestyle (although I leave around 7 and get back closer to 6), I don't have a whole lot of opportunities to do that in the same way. I miss regularly engaging people in debate, reflection and provacative discussion. (Somehow, I don't feel a strong pull to try to engage my fellow train commuters in anthropological dialogue or stir up theological debate in my very religiously diverse office.)

But also, this is an attempt to give everyone a glimpse into the work that I am getting to do this year and the stories of people seeking asylum in this country that I interact with. Aside from a few close friends here (and immediate family) whose ear I have a tendency to talk off from time to time with my ramblings about work (and they graciously put up with me), it's hard to answer the question "What's your job like?" for friends that I don't get to catch up with very often, and whose insight I miss. There's too much to say. This year, much like last year, is a year of broadening my horizons of what is going on in the world, tearing down preconceived notions and trying to figure out what to do with the pieces.

So here I am, in blogging cyberspace, putting my thoughts out there for anyone to read. Who does that?

1 Comments:

Blogger bp said...

Yay! Welcome to the blogging world... It looks like you'll be far more faithful at recording your thoughts than I, for which I am very thankful. Perhaps you'll inspire me to get my act together and write about the 55,000 things that have been swimming in my head these past few months. I am glad for your voice in my life...if only over the phone, through cyberspace, and in the occasional delicious conversation over an equally delicious West Virginia apple.

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home